Friday, March 6, 2009

 

Watchmen Movie review by Edward (Spoiler Free)

So, I know you are all dying to know my opinion about this movie (or I am totally full of myself, either way). I got several emails today asking me about it, so I think I will share it below.

Despite numerous problems with the movie, I really enjoyed Watchmen, and will see it again. I am not a movie theory buff, nor do I go into real serious examination of genres, styles and "coulda-been". My gut reaction right after seeing a movie is usually how I feel about it later, so please keep that in mind. I came out of the theater feeling like I just watched one of my favorite books come alive, and not in the dry-and-boring-why-did-I-watch-this way that I felt about Dan Brown's "Da Vinci Code", which was faithful and yet completely soulless. I felt like Watchmen did a good job making both the fans and the people who have not read the book happy. I have a suspicion that it will impress more those who have not read the source material, and have not had exposure to the amazing character development and depth of Alan Moore's characters in the book. But that is the beauty of having been introduced to Watchmen through watching the movie. The book, read after watching the movie, will be that much more impressive and there is something RIGHT about that.

Of course, after the initial reaction wore off, I started remembering the things that threw me off about the movie. There are a couple of "WTF" moments in it that go against the grain of someone who's read the book as many times as I have. Without giving things away too much, here are my two main "beefs" with the movie.

1. Acting - The two female leads are so outmatched by two out of three male leads, that their lack of skill really stands out (in a bad way). Malin Akerman is sexy as hell, but does not carry the scenes at all, and she's got the better of the two female performances. Carla Gugino, who looks like a dead ringer for the original Silk Spectre, feels so wrong with the "old woman" make-up on her face, that it makes me wonder why they did not just cast a different actress for the role of the older Spectre. The scenes between the two of them are unwatchable and are void of any energy. Matthew Goode, while not a bad actor per se, has an accent that comes in and out, and seems "boyish" in the role that should have been given to someone with a lot more presence. Younger Robert Redford is the look they should have gone for, IMHO, and there are a few actors that could have fit the bill. Goode does not look "right" as the young costumed hero in flashbacks (in the garish rubber nipple ring suit), nor does he pull off the older persona. And for a character who is supposed to feel like the IDEAL Dedicated Superhero, he comes off a bit creepy throughout the movie.

2. Gratuitous violence - in the book, the violence is shown in quick bits and pieces and is very understated on purpose. I completely understand the need for added action scenes in the movie, and they would not have bothered me, if not for the Superhuman-like strength the characters exhibit, with giant leaps and wall crushing blows that do not seem to injure the actual combatants. And don't get me started on the "alley" scene (if you have read the book, you know what that is), where our supposed "heroes" dispatch the attackers with such brutal and deadly violence that it made me cringe.

On the other hand, the movie has a couple of absolutely masterful acting performances by Jackie Earle Haley and Jeffrey Dean Morgan, and a ton of moments that make real fans giddy with joy. Overall, I would say this is a must-see movie that deserves a chance to impress.

Comments:
I was pretty indifferent to it. I just felt it didn't have a heart. It stuck to the graphic novel TOO much. Yes, that's the last problem I expected; but, the movie never had a sense of its own pacing. It needed to be reworked to fit the pacing of the big screen. What works in for a piece of literature doesn't always work for movies.

I also had a problem with the violence. It just seemed out of place and added to give something to those that expected this to be a three hour action movie (a big complaint we heard around us after the film was that it was nothing but "three hours of people in costumes talking"--which I blame the marketing campaign for setting those expectations).

I didn't hate it, but it isn't a movie I'll remember in the long run.

For my comic podcast, the wife I discuss the movie (we do discuss spoilers). She is not a comic geek and has not read Watchmen, so she brings the viewpoint that the majority of viewers are going to have. It can be found at http://www.steampunkwilly.com -- Issue 18 of the podcast. (We also review the recent Wonder Woman animated movie (completely awesome!).)
 

Hey Ed!

Glad to hear you also liked the movie!

Check out the link below for my review on the film. It's from a slightly different perspective though:

http://yourfriendandy.wordpress.com/2009/03/06/dong-to-boob-ratio-seriously-askew-in-the-watchmen/

-Andy
 

Since I'm the only long time comic book fan on the entire planet that thought that the Watchmen story was nothing more than cynical, pretentious hype with unimpressive artwork, nine panel grids per page and all, I was pleasantly surprised to have enjoyed the movie as much as I did. Moore paints his characters as human garbage with nothing really noble about any of them and it translates to the big screen beautifully.

One of the reason I enjoy reading comic books is because for the most part, no matter what the main character's personal problems are, there is something redeemable about them. Not so with the characters in Watchmen. It's easy for me to not like any of them.

My wife saw the movie with me, and not being a comic book reader, it was a new experience for her in every way. She absolutely loved it and I'll probably have to buy her the graphic novel, so I guess you'll get a sale out of it.

I thought the gratuitous violence, as well as the sprinkling of gratuitous sex, was the best part of the movie. The only actual super-powered person in the story about supposed super-heroes was Dr. Manhattan and without the violence, exaggerated fighting ability, and the special effects distraction, the depression from the story itself would render the movie unwatchable since the story basically states that good triumphs over evil, but good isn't any better than evil and we all suck.

Who watches the unwatchable? I guess we all do, and we LIKE IT.

I rate the movie "G" for Glitzy.
 

Hey! I'm AL's wife. I walked out of the movie with one comment. I truly believe this is the perfect movie. It kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time. The characters, even the disgusting ones, were 100% human, the violence was exhilarating, almost guilt-free, and the sex was like, well, reality. This is the first comic book movie that has captured my attention, and being AL's wife, I've been to many. One additional treat--the music is so suited to the action on the screen as to be THE songs that were popping into my head as the story progressed.

Yes, I'm a cynic. Previously all I had seen having to do with the famous Watchmen comic was a sweatshirt with a blood-dripped smiley face on it and AL was unable to explain the symbolism to me. I understand it now!

I will never ask God for "world peace" again. Unfortunately, I think Watchman has the human race figured out.

:-) AL's Wife
 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]


<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]