Monday, February 16, 2009

 

Who's reading the Watchmen ?



You would think I am preaching to the choir here, but yet, every day I am surprised by how many of our regular comic book customers have yet to read the book that is considered by most the comic book "holy book". The older readers have read it of course, guys in their 40s remember picking up the issues as they came out. It's the newer 20-something crowd that has somehow managed to read everything BUT it, and that is scary.


I did not get into comics until I was in my early 20s. I remember the day I got my first comic book. I was working at Fairfax High School on Melrose Ave., and that day the whole world of news was abuzz with the "Superman is dead" story. You could not do anything without being reminded that Superman was now dead. I had to see with my own eyes, so I went to Golden Apple Comics (right across the street) and bought my first comic book. Within a week I had all the "doomsday" issues and my fate was sealed. Because my history with comics is not that long, I still remember the first time I read many of my favorite books, like Batman Year One, Kingdom Come, Earth X, Inhumans (by Jae Lee, possibly the most under read book ever). But I can not remember the first time I read Watchmen. Maybe it's because I have read it so many times since I got it. 2-3 times a year faithfully since the early 90s I have a desire to read it again, even though I already know it from cover to cover. I have always been amazed how I ALWAYS find something new that I have not seen the times before. I can't believe that I am still surprised and fascinated by the ending, even though I know it's coming every single time. I still love the characters, who are as vivid and exciting as any other character in comics, all flawed and yet all amazing.


A customer, who is a very well known movie critic, came in on Friday, after going to the Press screening of the movie. I did not need to ask him what he had thought of the movie, the answer was in his eyes, in his enormous grin, and in his body language, before he even told me. But it was the way he told me that I found most reassuring. He silently put both of his hands forward and did a "I am not worthy" bow, and at that time the load of anticipation and fear lifted completely. I know this guy's taste in movies and I trust him with this one. I told him about the tickets we (Nick and I) had already bought for the opening screening at Archlight (did you know they are already available?)

So, where am I going with this? Well, obviously I am trying to sell the book. But for the first time in all of my MANY attempts to get people to read a comic book I believe in, I feel like I am possibly doing them a favor. I honestly do not think someone can truly call themselves a TRUE comic book fan if they have not read Watchmen. It is THE book that our industry is measured by, and before you see the amazing movie adaptation come March, do yourself a favor and read the original book the way it was meant to be seen, IN PRINT.

Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]


<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]